Dietary treatment for diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
- Ice chips or sips of water only
- Consume only clear liquids for 24-48 hours. Start with small quantities of water first and slowly increase volume of fluid intake, adding:
- Weak tea with or without sugar or honey
- Flat Pepsi, Coke, 7-UP, Ginger Ale (bubbles can be stirred out with a spoon)
- Apple juice diluted with ½ strength water (no other fruit juices)
- Gatorade diluted to ½ strength with water
- Kool-Aid, Jell-O
- As the diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting significantly improve the following may be added slowly:
- Rice, rice cereals, noodles, potatoes (may be lightly salted or seasoned with broth)
- Apples, applesauce
- Toast, bread, crackers (without butter; jelly or jam is acceptable)
- As the diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting has resolved for 24 hours on the BRAT diet (above), lean meats, fruits, vegetables should tried gradually for one or two more days more. At this point, dairy products may be added one at a time in limited amounts. Continue drinking lots of clear fluids (urine should be clear, not yellow). Try to drink an equivalent of 10 glasses of water a day.
NOTE: Dairy products (milk, butter, cheese, and eggs) should not be ingested until the problem is completely resolved. Orange juice, grapefruit juice, and fried, spicy, or fatty foods should also be avoided.